This post is a bit on the early side, but since tomorrow is “Oh my gosh, we have money in the back account day” (i.e. Pay Day), I thought I would get this done before I turned to necessary things like restocking the pantry with edibles.
It is the first day of Spring, and we have a storm covering much of the country, wreaking havoc. We have been spared the worst of the weather her e in the Manawatu, but we have had the Minister of Civil Defence in town reviewing the damage from the big floods two months ago. The Hubbie was a fly on the wall at the meeting, having the important job of clicking a mouse to keep the slide show going during the meeting. Such an exciting life he leads! We toured the area affected by the floods last weekend, while visiting some beaches south of Whanganui. It’s not strictly rubber necking, since it’s work related for The Hubbie.
As for me, I have been keeping the home fires burning with the last of the winter’s wood, and dashing in and out of my quilting room. My adventures in Orange Peel quilting have been the source of much of my creative outputs for the week.
I sewed the petal patches together, and pieced a purple batik border around last week before asking for ideas for further borders. Wonky crosses were one suggestion, but I decided to go for a border of some fabric I had bought for the original quilt, then some scrappy flying geese in low volume and black fabrics. Wonky crosses might feature in the next round.
What I am currently pondering is whether to separate the current border from the Flying Geese with a narrow purple border. I have pinned up some fabric to give you an idea of how it would look, and some feedback would be appreciated.
Purple border, or no purple border?
I made the Flying Geese by attaching squares to the corners of the central piece, attaching by stitching down the centre, then trimming the excess. While this method is a bit wasteful, I am adding the trimmed bits to a pile to make a Scrap Vortex quilt from (….some time this century). I started making one during the QAL, but decided I was sick and tired of my scraps, and needed some more exciting ones before going any further. Some of this fabric is from the Cotton & Steel Spring 2015 collection, which definitely rates as exciting for me. The good thing about receiving fabric 6 months or more after it is released in the USA, is that it actually is Spring, or Fall, before it gets here, so it is timed well for our seasons too.While working on this quilt, I have also been reading Gwen Marsden’s “Liberated Medallion Quilts” from our library. I like the freedom of the approach, and suspect I may indulge in a few more medallion quilts. It seems a great way to re-purpose orphan appliqué blocks as centrepieces, and try out new blocks without signing up for a whole quilt of them, such as the remaining blocks from the Arts Recycling Centre.
Have a good week, and if you are a kiwi, try and keep dry!
Linking up eventually with WIP Wednesday and Lets Bee Social.
3 thoughts on “WIP Wednesday”
I love the title of your quilt, ‘Twilight in the Delphinium Patch’. It exactly reflects the colours of your quilt. The flying geese border looks great. Not sure it needs another purple border. I have Gwen Marsden’s Medallion Quilt book and have made one quilt in this style which I thoroughly enjoyed making. Time consuming though as each border needs a lot of blocks. I have several Gwen Marston’s books and have made lots of her Liberated Quilts over the years, having been fortunate to take part in a day’s workshop at the Quilt Group I belong to in Motueka. She was a marvellous teacher, so enthusiastic and teaching and helping everyone so effortlessly. Your plum tree looks super!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Love how your quilt is progressing – the colours are gorgeous. I too got bored of my scraps whilst doing some towards a vortex!!
What a beautiful quilt! Love your plum trees…as we are entering the last of our summer season how nice to see spring 🙂